Duvall Decker is a multi-disciplinary design and planning firm located in Jackson, Mississippi. Duvall Decker is a recognized design and planning leader in the region dedicated to advancing public health and environmental quality. Since 2006 the firm’s work has received 32 state, regional and national awards for design excellence. The firm’s work includes community planning, k-12 schools, state institutions, university and college buildings, and affordable housing.
Duvall Decker is seeking a highly organized architectural associate to join our team of professionals. We currently need an associate architect to support multi-disciplinary community-engaged architectural projects, including housing, institutional and commercial building projects. An Architectural Associate is responsible for understanding and developing project goals, contributing to the success of the project team and striving for excellence in the work.
• Serve as a project team member and grow into a project architect.
• Prepare design drawings, models, renderings, diagrams and other visual tools to help communicate project ideas.
• Complete and clearly present, code, material or context research and analyses.
• Serve as a team member to complete construction documents.
• Serve as a team member to check shop drawings, complete field inspections and reports.
• Take notes, file, and support and follow digital organizational systems.
• Work and support planning, development and maintenance projects.
Required Skills and Qualifications
• BArch, NAAB accredited.
• A good listener and a creative voice in the office.
• Ability to sketch, diagram and otherwise graphically communicate ideas
• Basic knowledge of construction systems and details.
• Basic knowledge of civil, structural, mechanical, electrical engineering systems.
• Exhibit strong time and project organizational skills
• Ability to comprehend and interpret, building and zoning codes.
• Excellent analytical and research skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Proficiency in Familiar with AutoCad and/or Revit.
• Proficiency in graphic design software (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
• Proficiency with Sketch-up.
• Strong writing, specifically technical writing, and communication skills will be critical for successful candidates.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to participate and lead group discussions.
• Ability to understand priorities, possess good time manage and manage multiple tasks and schedules
• Exemplary work ethic and ability to work independently.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive Salary and Benefits
How to Apply
1. Provide a cover letter presenting your background, (educational and professional), and a proposal why you would be a successful intern architect team member in the Duvall Decker office.
2. Provide a resume with two recommendation contacts (at least one from a former employer or supervisor).
3. Provide at least two examples of work completed by the candidate. Describe the issues, successes, and challenges and define your role in each example.
Send Single PDF file with all items above, not exceeding 5MB to Jobs@duvalldecker.com. Please put “INTERN ARCHITECT” in the subject line.
Open until filled
Duvall Decker and its companies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetics, sexual orientation or any other characteristics protected by the law.
We prohibit expressly prohibit any form of discrimination or harassment of any kind, including discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetics, sexual orientation or any other characteristics protected by law. We also make all reasonable accommodations to meet our obligations under laws protecting the rights of the disabled. Improper interference with the ability of Duvall Decker’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Singular Employment for Full Time Employees. Full time employment is an agreement for the employee to devote their full professional effort toward the work assigned. Due to the detailed nature and responsibilities of the work, full attention is a requirement of employment. Outside employment, even outside normal work hours or beyond the time required to maintain project schedules, can and often does, create a conflict of interest or a distraction that undermines the employee’s ability to fulfill his or her responsibilities to the level expected. For these reasons, no moonlighting or outside employment of any kind is allowed. Exceptions to this provision are on a case-by-case basis as determined by Management.